This is a recipe that goes way back in my family and is often served alongside rich, hearty stews and dishes. The vinegary paper-thin cucumbers pair well with rich food, or those with chilis and act almost as a cooling pickle. This is my mother’s recipe.
You will need:
- 2-3 cucumbers, peeled, ends sliced off.
- 1 clove minced garlic
- 1 tbs salt
- 1/4 cup white vinegar (or champagne vinegar)
- pinch of sugar
- Peel 2 – 3 cucumbers – taste the end to be sure they are not bitter. If they are, cut them off and discard
- Using a mandolin on the thinnest setting, slice the cucumbers paper thin.
- Place cucumbers, 1 clove minced garlic, 1 tablespoon salt in large bowl and mix around with your hands. Let stand for 30 minutes, then wash the slices in a strainer under cold, running water. Drain.
- Mix 1/4 cup white vinegar (I use Champagne vinegar) with 1 tablespoon cold water and a pinch of sugar. Mix with cucumbers and chill.