This is a very rustic, simple breakfast, yet it remains a family favorite. It seems ridiculous to write out this recipe or suggest this as a breakfast idea, but after seeing it on several tapas menus, I thought it might be worthwhile. This is ideal when you have some good, crusty bread laying around and a ripe Campari or Roma tomato.
You will need:
- Slice of a baguette or ciabatta bread
- Splash of olive oil (1 tbs)
- 1-2 ripe Campari or Roma tomatoes
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- Scrunch of fresh ground salt
- Heat a sauté pan or skillet to medium and add olive oil when hot
- Heat bread in olive oil, making sure to allow the side that will have tomatoes to develop a nice crust
- Add garlic and tomatoes. They should get blisteringly hot and soft. You can do this beside the bread if your pan is large enough.
- Smear the crushed tomatoes across the top of the bread and add the tiniest scrunch of salt to bring out the tomato flavor.
- Serve and enjoy!