You will need:
- 2 tbs vegetable oil
- 2 lb boneless pork shoulder (or slice up a bone-in pork shoulder)*
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 small white onion, sliced thin
- 7-8 tomatillos, chopped or 24 oz can tomatillos, drained
- 1 can diced green chiles
- 1-2 fresh jalapenos, chopped (this depends on your love of spice)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp cumin
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh cilantro
Serve with: fresh cilantro, sour cream, monterey-jack cheese
- Prepare your veggies
- Heat oil in a large skillet and brown pork on all sides for about 15 minutes. Transfer to slow cooker, reserving juices in the skillet
- Cook onion and garlic in remaining juices, stirring and scraping up any browned bits for about 4-5 minutes. transfer juices and onions/garlic into slow cooker
- Add tomatillos, chiles, jalapenos, oregano, cumin, salt and pepper. Pour in chicken broth to cover the ingredients. Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Shred cooked pork with a fork, and spoon into bowls.
- Add cilantro, cheese, and sour cream and enjoy:)
Allow for jalapeno seeds if you want the dish to be spicier.
For this recipe, I used a bone-in pork shoulder. I first trimmed the fat from the meat before it slicing it from the bone.